Leadership is a accepted topic both in the business and education worlds. The main reason for this popularity is that effective leadership is a famous factor for the success of any organization. By implementing leadership at the middle school and high school grades, the concept is that this earlier intervention will ultimately succor not only the students, but the local communities, diminutive businesses and larger corporate citizens.
What constitutes an effective middle school or high school system wide leadership program that delivers a determined return on your investment? These 10 pointers may wait on you better reply that put a question to.
1. All staff must be developed at leaders to ensure consistency of behaviors through modeling. From bus drivers to superintendents, these individuals become role models for many young people. If their behavior is not consistent with any curriculum, then the likelihood of sustained success is doubtful. Using a student leadership program that evolved from a proven adult leadership process is probably a better procedure to recede.
2. The desired raze results for this leadership program should be clearly articulated before adoption of any curriculum. Simple benchmarks could be improved grades, improved high school retention and less discipline referrals. All benchmarks need to be measurable because as the primitive adage goes “if you can measure it, you can’t manage it.” This is the beginning to decide a certain or negative return on your investment for the leadership program or any change initiative.
3. The curriculum should focus on the affective learning domain especially interpersonal skills. Additionally, the cognitive and psychomotor domains should include: communication, conflict resolution, goal setting and goal achievement, higher order thinking skills, team building and time management.
4. Alignment between the leadership curriculum and the other academic disciplines is also vital to the success of such a program. There needs to be numerous opportunities to apply newly learned concepts outside of the leadership classroom.
5. A goal setting and goal achievement Action belief is probably the most indispensable fraction to the success of this program. This Action understanding for success should allow for all students to self-evaluate themselves and provide a mechanism to prioritize and organize unique and future goals.
6. A mentoring or alumni program should follow the student leadership development program. At this juncture is when the youth can fully participate in community projects as well as mentor younger students.
7. Parents need to be informed and if possible included within this leadership program. With many parents lacking the significant skills and tools to abet their children, by proactively working with parents helps both the young people and the school.
8. Local puny business owners to larger corporate citizens need to be also keen. These companies can attend by participating as keynote speakers as well as work to fund scholarships to benefit offset the cost of the leadership program and employing the graduates.
9. The curriculum should be highly interactive, highly adaptable and flexible and modeled after the best corporate training and development programs. Also, this curriculum should be researched based and should reinforce sound educational research including emotional intelligence, cognitive retention, etc.
10. Any student leadership program should also include pre and post assessments both cognitive and attitudinal. Additionally, a mechanism should be included to track these students for longitudinal data collection. These assessments demonstrate both the short-term return on investments as well as the long-term investments.
Finally, this leadership program should be for the majority of your student body and not fair the high performing students. The success of our country is due to the as noteworthy if not more so to the every day efforts of the average citizen.
If constructing a viable and sustainable student world-class leadership program is in your modern or future plans, then these pointers should catapult you ahead of the class because you now know that you have created self-leaders who are good of being the knowledge workers needed in the 21st century workforce.
Copyright 2005(c) Leanne Hoagland-Smith, M.S.
This article may be freely published. Permission to publish this article, electronically or in print, as long as the bylines are included, with a live link, and the article is not changed in any draw (grammatical corrections approved) .
The education of nurses does not halt once they graduate and net their nursing degree. There is a wealth of opportunities for nurses who pursue a nursing continuing education; whatever nursing degree you have finished there is always a higher education for you.
Requirement For License Renewal
One of the reasons why some pursue nursing continuing education is that in some states it is a requirement for nurses to renew their license. This is to produce determined that the nurses in the residence are constantly updated on the most original hospital technology. Nursing continuing education also updates the skills of the nurses in the rendering of their services to the patients.
A holder of an associate degree qualifies as a practical nurse or a registered nurse but in order to qualify for higher positions, you must go help to school for some additional education. A Bachelor of Science in Nursing degree is the next level to the associate degree. Higher than that is the Master’s Degree in Nursing which is a requirement if you want to become a licensed nurse midwife, nurse anesthetist, clinical nurse or a nurse practitioner. A Master’s Degree will give you the opportunity to specialize in a specific field of nursing like mental health, intensive care or geriatrics among others. The highest degree is the doctorate degree. You can score your doctorate in sure fields like education, philosophy or nursing science. Getting a doctorate will give you the chance to be on the top of your profession as a nurse. A doctorate degree qualifies you for administrative positions.
Additional education is an advantage if you want to pursue a higher status in your workplace. This gives you an edge over the other applicants for the site you are aspiring for. The higher the set you aspire for, the higher is the degree required. Although there are instances when a higher degree is not required for a promotion, nursing continuing education will peaceful acquire clear that you have a higher chance at getting the promotion.
Nursing continuing education requires hours of school work which is not an easy task if you are collected working at a hospital. Going to school straight from your shift will leave you no time to sleep. The fine news is that, nursing continuing education is now available online. You can execute your higher education over the internet. This will effect positive that you can balance your career and education without sacrificing one or the other.
Educating and education is all about having resources and being able to locate them. The outmoded adage of I might not know the retort but I can gape it up has never been more accurate than it is today. And the future only promises to content more information at our finger tips.
Today’s technology has opened an entire universe of homeschooling supplies to us. The internet alone is a savor chest of teaching materials, supplies, information, and expertise! With honest minimal researching you kind pick up homeschool curriculums, educational software, homeschool lesson plans and programs, materials from teacher created resources, games, activities, and the list goes on! And homeschool teaching aids and materials can be passe by the teacher as well as the student.
Turn your creativity loose with your child and have fun looking some of this up. Of this the things you notion, questions you have to respond, organization you have to do to rep your homeschool in order, seeking out and finding resources should not pose any quandary for you at all. There is a whole world of creative people out there with any kind of opinion you could reflect of. Also there are numerous forums and relieve groups to insure a successful homeschooling venture for you.
attend and ideas are everywhere. In fact sometimes to the point that you may actually suffer from information overload…. And there are even articles and ideas for you on how to help that!
Homeschooling is one of the toughest jobs you’ll ever like. Finding obliging homeschooling supplies is easy.
Character education is being executed in schools and other not for profit organizations across the US. Character education allows the individual student to conclude personal success and also compose into a strong person at the same time.
Developing character can start with the assist of a product or course that teaches the parent that is not familiar with character education. These products relieve encourage the children secure several capable traits instead of unbiased one or two throughout life.
Mom and dad are very busy people. These programs aid shortcut the time it takes to learn how to thunder character education to their son or daughter.
A child really needs to learn character education hands on. In other words, it is not impartial taught directly but also indirectly with children being encouraged to judge through situations and retort in an appropriate design.
Children can be taught to regulate their emotions and answer maturely to frustrating or stressful situations. They are also taught communication strategies that support them to become empowered and resilient individuals. Children must feel engaged if they are going to learn anything from any of the character education programs.
A child will learn more if they are taught in a sure come. notice for a program that is simple in nature by itself without trying to gain things more difficult than important.
A solid program helps perform a child’s confidence by showing them how to plot and arrive clear goals. Many itsy-bitsy wins are considerable more considerable to a kid than focusing on one colossal unseemingly impossible goal. A program needs to be kept simple and promote imagination and action for the child. As they carry out dinky successes, kids are more likely to fill they can carry out greater ones.
Their possibilities expand and they become more confident.
Praise is a distinguished aspect of character education. When children are praised for their efforts and achievements, they are encouraged to continue making an pains. Praise for even microscopic wins can spur a child on to persevere through difficult tasks and snarl them that mastery is achieved slowly.
A lot of people focus on the social responsibility aspects of character education such as respect for others, civic responsibilities, and honesty but it really involves a lot more than that.
The strength of character children need to beget in order to live elated, fulfilled and successful adult lives is drawn from the experiences of their lives and how skilled they are at interpreting and responding to other people, situations and problems. These experiences are not objective something kids have to acknowledge to reactively, but can be created proactively through the decisions they form.
When children learn to imagine what they want to be, or do, or have and then spot achievable goals, they learn to proactively design their experiences. Kids who have this ability tend to be more resilient, self-regulated and optimistic than those who don’t.
Character education programs in schools may or may not focus on these aspects of personal development, but parents should certainly watch for programs that do so. The benefits to your children now and into the future are worth the investment.
Physical activity offers a gargantuan range of benefits, including the prevention of obesity, improved self confidence, and an overall sense of well-being. Physical education programs within the school setting can space the stage for how children idea physical fitness, activity levels, and future health. Physical education programs also include general health and safety information in addition to providing opportunities for students to learn how to cooperate with one another in a team setting.
A Lifetime of Health
The school setting provides a structured atmosphere in which to incorporate physical health activities and ideally get healthy habits for life. Studies explain that promotion of a healthy lifestyle taught in physical education classes can influence long-term health benefits such as reduced rates of obesity, heart disease, high cholesterol, diabetes, and high blood pressure.
Perhaps honest as importantly, physical education programs can impart students that physical activity can be fun. With a mountainous range of games and activities, children are exposed to forms of exhaust that don’t simply involve running around a track. Games and other activities incorporate teamwork, strategy, skill-building exercises, and fun.
Physical education classes are ideal for introducing basic nutritional concepts to children. dreadful eating habits are popular among many children and adolescents; however, a solid foundation in healthy eating choices can encourage lay the groundwork for improved food choices. Children who eat regular, healthy meals consisting of a wide range of food choices concentrate better in school and are less disruptive. Healthy eating also decreases the chances of children developing serious health problems early in life and reduces obesity rates among youth and into adulthood.
Physical education also provides an opportunity for children to beget well-known life skills, such as quandary solving, strategy, and working together. Many team sports require participants to work together to finish a goal. Children also learn the basics of superior sportsmanship and that there is great more to sports and physical activities than simply winning or losing. Sports require training, mental and physical preparation, and serve develop self-confidence.
Regular physical activity has shown to have many psychological and mental benefits in addition to the physical ones. For example, regular exhaust can slice feelings of depression and alarm and promote an overall sense of well-being. The increased blood pace during expend transports oxygen to all parts of the body, including the brain, which can serve improve memory and reasoning skills. Conversely, a lack of oxygen, which can result from not enough deep breathing, can lead to disorientation, confusion, fatigue, and memory and concentration difficulties.